famousmales
useless manager- shud i raise issue? - Printable Version

+- famousmales (https://famousmales.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion forums (https://famousmales.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: The Poof's Pantry (https://famousmales.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: useless manager- shud i raise issue? (/showthread.php?tid=911)

Pages: 1 2

useless manager- shud i raise issue? - loverboy260 - 11-09-2020

so i have a manager who isnt imo, doing stuff that i think could help the company.. i actually dont know what he does all week apart from couple of meetings and its getting on my nerves.. partially because i believe i could do that job and mine (ie i could be a manager) and b) before i joined prev employee did a realy shitty job (IT, websites) code was all over the place.. and as a tech manager i am pissed that he let that happen, even now any thing techie i make all the decisions.. so in my mind whats the point of him?

part of the problem is afaik he is friends with the director so i dont know how director would feel, and b) if director doesnt believe me thinsg could go sour for me/manager's relationship.

its not massively big company with massive revenue and my tech manager/directory is always trying to cut $$ wherever  they can..

RE: useless manager- shud i raise issue? - jdcyl - 11-09-2020

Look for another job while you’re there.

Sad to say that if he and the Director are friends, you are more replaceable than he is.

RE: useless manager- shud i raise issue? - Welsh Cake - 11-09-2020

As things are at the moment, suck it up. It’s not easy to find another job atm

If you’re intent on looking for another job, you need to work on your grammar.

A lot.

RE: useless manager- shud i raise issue? - Parsifal - 11-09-2020

Since it's not a large company, perhaps your manager will self-destruct. If he does then don't get in the way. Big Grin

RE: useless manager- shud i raise issue? - loverboy260 - 11-09-2020

director is also clue less. i mean why would he keep someone who isnt doing anything to help him..

i like the job dont get me wrong but i am just q why the manager is there if he isnt pulling his weight

RE: useless manager- shud i raise issue? - ladsnet - 12-09-2020

You've answered your own question.
He's friends with the director.

RE: useless manager- shud i raise issue? - Parsifal - 12-09-2020

The situation that you describe is not uncommon in the business world.  In fact it is very common.
Leave that job to go to another and there is a 50:50 chance that you'll walk into the same situation again.
One learns to survive.

RE: useless manager- shud i raise issue? - ken_85 - 12-09-2020

As above, answered your own question in terms of the "friends with the director."

Very possible he's been fired before and director gave him a job to look after him. Or may have mental/stress issues that director is aware of, and you would then look like a right auld dick for saying something about.

Look on it as an opportunity to look at something else.

RE: useless manager- shud i raise issue? - Parsifal - 12-09-2020

After years working in business I learned this:
If you're unhappy in your job, hang on, it will change.
If you're happy in your job, hang on, it will change.

When I was working at a major financial institution on Wall St. I did an analysis one day and concluded that the division that I worked in had a major reorg every eight months.
Hang on, it will change.

RE: useless manager- shud i raise issue? - Kev - 13-09-2020

Quote:so i have a manager who isnt imo, doing stuff that i think could help the company.. i actually dont know what he does all week apart from couple of meetings and its getting on my nerves.. partially because i believe i could do that job and mine (ie i could be a manager) and b) before i joined prev employee did a realy shitty job (IT, websites) code was all over the place.. and as a tech manager i am pissed that he let that happen, even now any thing techie i make all the decisions.. so in my mind whats the point of him?

part of the problem is afaik he is friends with the director so i dont know how director would feel, and b) if director doesnt believe me thinsg could go sour for me/manager's relationship.

its not massively big company with massive revenue and my tech manager/directory is always trying to cut $$ wherever  they can..

If you are going for another job I sure hope your resume is written better than you did there.

RE: useless manager- shud i raise issue? - iveivan - 13-09-2020

(11-09-2020, 03:40 PM)loverboy260 Wrote: so i have a manager who isnt imo, doing stuff that i think could help the company.. i actually dont know what he does all week apart from couple of meetings and its getting on my nerves.. partially because i believe i could do that job and mine (ie i could be a manager) and b) before i joined prev employee did a realy shitty job (IT, websites) code was all over the place.. and as a tech manager i am pissed that he let that happen, even now any thing techie i make all the decisions.. so in my mind whats the point of him?

its not massively big company with massive revenue and my tech manager/directory is always trying to cut $$ wherever  they can..

Could there be more to his job than you are exposed to? That’s often the case.

RE: useless manager- shud i raise issue? - MintyRox - 13-09-2020

(13-09-2020, 11:36 AM)Kev Wrote:
Quote:so i have a manager who isnt imo, doing stuff that i think could help the company.. i actually dont know what he does all week apart from couple of meetings and its getting on my nerves.. partially because i believe i could do that job and mine (ie i could be a manager) and b) before i joined prev employee did a realy shitty job (IT, websites) code was all over the place.. and as a tech manager i am pissed that he let that happen, even now any thing techie i make all the decisions.. so in my mind whats the point of him?

its not massively big company with massive revenue and my tech manager/directory is always trying to cut $$ wherever  they can..

If you are going for another job I sure hope your resume is written better than you did there.

That was unnecessary - this isn't a job application, it's a wank board.

To the OP. I would suggest you try to ignore this and get on with your own work. Without walking a mile in his shoes, you probably don't really know fully what your manager does. Worrying about what colleagues are or are not doing just leads to winding yourself up more. Once you begin to feel antagonism towards someone it will affect your perception of them and everything they do. Maybe he is shit at his job, but you're only winding yourself up dwelling on it.

RE: useless manager- shud i raise issue? - Parsifal - 13-09-2020

(13-09-2020, 01:15 PM)MintyRox Wrote:
(13-09-2020, 11:36 AM)Kev Wrote:

I agree with Kev, but it depends.
If applying for a job means just showing up, filling out a form and answering questions in an interview then it doesn't matter much.
But if applying for a job means having a resume/CV, a LinkedIn profile and a cover letter then it matters a LOT.
I don't believe that our writing styles change much when we post on here and when we write professionally; different, but still a lot in common that shows through both styles.

I've been on the hiring manager side of the interview many times.  If I got a resume and cover letter written in the above style it would go straight into the trash.  I wouldn't bother to call the guy in.

Yes, this is a wank board.  It can't hurt to practice our best writing (spelling, grammar, punctuation, clarity of language, etc.) on here too.  Then we'll be well prepared for when it matters.  We write for the benefit of others, not for ourselves and our own convenience.

(Awaits corrections to my post above. LOL)

(13-09-2020, 05:47 PM)Parsifal Wrote:
(13-09-2020, 01:15 PM)MintyRox Wrote:
(13-09-2020, 11:36 AM)Kev Wrote: If you are going for another job I sure hope your resume is written better than you did there.

I agree with Kev, but it depends.
If applying for a job means just showing up, filling out a form and answering questions in an interview then it doesn't matter much.
But if applying for a job means having a resume/CV, a LinkedIn profile and a cover letter then it matters a LOT.
I don't believe that our writing styles change much when we post on here and when we write professionally; different, but still a lot in common that shows through both styles.

I've been on the hiring manager side of the interview many times.  If I got a resume and cover letter written in the above style it would go straight into the trash.  I wouldn't bother to call the guy in.

Yes, this is a wank board.  It can't hurt to practice our best writing (spelling, grammar, punctuation, clarity of language, etc.) on here too.  Then we'll be well prepared for when it matters.  We write for the benefit of others, not for ourselves and our own convenience.

(Awaits corrections to my post above. LOL)

Well I don't believe the OP would use all lower case letters and shortened spellings when applying for a job, whereas lots of people do that on forums and SMS. It was unnecessary to make the comment above and unproductive to the discussion.

If you want to nit pick, you have bunched up some of your sentences and used unclear paragraphing. You also spelt 'practise' incorrectly.

RE: useless manager- shud i raise issue? - loverboy260 - 13-09-2020

the only reason i know what he is up to is because we have weekly meetings and when he updates us on what he will be doing its nothing substantial..

and yes this is a forum, usually ppl have different styles.. so that comment was indeed stupid and wasnt needed.. if there is one thing i have learnt its if u dont have anything substantial to add just stay quiet and leave without derailing the subject.. if ur intentions were nice then u shud have PMed me!

(13-09-2020, 07:46 PM)MintyRox Wrote: If you want to nit pick, you have bunched up some of your sentences and used unclear paragraphing. You also spelt 'practise' incorrectly.

Thank you MintyRox for the suggestions.  I always aspire to speaking and writing better English and welcome suggestions and corrections.  (Trained as a mathematician rather than in the writing arts it's always a bit uphill.) Hugs

However, in American English "practice" is spelled correctly. Tongue

(As it happened, one poster "Liked" my post and one "Liked" MintyRox's post.  So we're even. LOL)

(13-09-2020, 09:01 PM)Parsifal Wrote:
(13-09-2020, 07:46 PM)MintyRox Wrote: If you want to nit pick, you have bunched up some of your sentences and used unclear paragraphing. You also spelt 'practise' incorrectly.

Thank you MintyRox for the suggestions.  I always aspire to speaking and writing better English and welcome suggestions and corrections.  (Trained as a mathematician rather than in the writing arts it's always a bit uphill.) Hugs

(As it happened, one poster "Liked" my post and one "Liked" MintyRox's post.  So we're even. LOL)

I believe this is a British English site, so it was a fair point based on your previous comment. 

As you can see, a person's perspective can affect their approach to phrasing a sentence. The OP is a coder not an English professor, as you are a mathematician. So let's give them some slack as to how they compose their post and focus on trying to help, instead of questioning their grammar.  Hugs

(13-09-2020, 09:41 PM)MintyRox Wrote:
(13-09-2020, 09:01 PM)Parsifal Wrote:

I believe this is a British English site, so it was a fair point based on your previous comment. 

As you can see, a person's perspective can affect their approach to phrasing a sentence. The OP is a coder not an English professor, as you are a mathematician. So let's give them some slack as to how they compose their post and focus and trying to help, instead of questioning their grammar.  Hugs

This may be a "British English site" (I'm not so sure if you do a headcount) Huh , but writing from New York City (my profile indicates that if you know where the Big Apple is) the word "practice" was not misspelled.  (Nor would "color", "neighbor" and many other words be.)

I am also a coder, and quite a heavy-duty coder for all of my professional life (I write my own computer programs for mathematical and statistical models; therefore an appreciation for precision).  And yet I see the importance of aspiring to speaking and writing the best (American) English because it serves those who hear what I say and read what I write.  (And I truly do appreciate corrections.)

I believe that encouraging others to not drop the standards even when posting on a wank site serves them well.  Practice makes perfect and the more that good writing becomes a habit all the better.  So I did believe that Kev's and my post were helping him in his future job seeking endeavors (by cultivating good habits).

Sure, give him some slack.  Friendly pointers and reminders serve a good purpose too.

@Parsifal
I don't want to get into a quote battle with you. Let's just agree to disagree and call it a day. Smile

@loverboy260
I hope you got some worthy advice somewhere along the way. Wink

RE: useless manager- shud i raise issue? - Parsifal - 14-09-2020

(13-09-2020, 11:09 PM)MintyRox Wrote: @Parsifal
I don't want to get into a quote battle with you. Let's just agree to disagree and call it a day. Smile

That's exactly what I was going to say next. LOL
Maybe we're more similar than we realize. Hugs